[VPM] help wanted - example database schemas and queries

Sun Oct 21 20:57:57 PDT 2007

All,

At this point in time, the design work on Muldis D + Muldis DB is
transitioning to be implementation driven rather than theoretical
scenario driven.  That is, the fundamental design work is more or
less done, and I'm now moving on to filling in cracks in the design
that would get revealed by actually trying to write code that uses
Muldis DB and implement the latter so that the former runs.

For context, you can see
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Language-MuldisD/ and
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Muldis-DB/ , though the versions on CPAN
aren't the absolute newest versions.

While I am great in thinking of things in more abstract or generic
terms, it is great drudgery for me to try to come up with specific
examples of use, such as actual tasks being solved, actual database
schemas, reasonable sample data, and actual queries to run.

I am now requesting the help of any interested parties to generate
and/or collect database use case examples that I would then translate
into Perl Hosted Muldis D code, thereby demonstrating how one would
use Muldis DB to implement solutions to the use cases.

Please provide your examples with as much detail as reasonably
possible, since I will basically be translating them literally, and I
can't really fill in blanks; so too little detail means a less
interesting and/or non-instructive result.

For example, specify the components, relationships, and constraints
or business rules for data that you want a database schema to
implement, as well as some specific queries or data manipulation
tasks you would want to do with it.

If you want, you can specify these in the form of SQL DDL and
DML+SELECT statements.

Or you can use pseudo-code of some other well known programming language.

Bonus points for providing some example (small) data sets for inputs
as well as describing the expected outputs.

Note that generic question/examples like just "how do I join 2
rowsets" or "how do I filter records" or "how do I do subqueries" are
not very helpful since the actual way to code this can change
depending on the reason you want to do this and the structure of the
tables.

Keep in mind that Muldis DB is better considered, in the context of
it being used as a wrapper over DBI et al, as a relational database
abstraction layer, and not as a Perl object persistence layer.  So
please format the use cases in consideration of this paradigm.

Please send them directly to darren at darrenduncan.net, soon as you
can, and even partial is better than none.

I will collect the input and make the initial version of a Muldis DB
cookbook from this source material plus the implementing code in
Muldis DB, as well as use them as examples for live presentations I
give (the first being on the 23rd).

I also need to make a test suite sooner rather than later, and these
examples could also help with that to some extent.

Thank you in advance. -- Darren Duncan