[VPM] Victoria Perl Mongers meeting November 20 - new location

Charles Frank charlespfrank at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:03:26 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 5:23 PM, Darren Duncan <darren at darrenduncan.net> wrote:
> Hello Charles, welcome to the livemeetings.

Thank you, I look forward to meeting everyone.

> Regarding plusthree, I haven't heard of it before, but I do recognize
> the name Sam Tregar from our common involvement in several email
> exchanges, such as the DBI and Bricolage lists.

Yes, he is working for 'We Also Walk Dogs' now, the technology arm
behind MoveOn.org.  He was on the frontlines for the Kentucky
Governor's race, and his candidate won.   He's a great guy.  The other
two gentlemen that I mentioned have more of presence via the mod_perl
community.  We sent Perrin and Michael to the perlcons and apachecons.
 Perrin says that he has seen you and Peter at conferences, and of
course, we all read Peter's Perl Medic book.  In fact we used it in
code review sessions.

Sam was the lead dev on the Krang cms for some time (the open source
cms that my ARCOS product is based on), at Prime Media.  Hence his
postings to the Bricolage lists.

> Regarding your "looking for a good shop" comment, are you implying
> that you don't currently have income, or that you do but are looking
> for something better?

I am not working right now, and I have just completed the process for
my work permit, so I am finally eligible to work in Canada.  My wife
accepted a tenure track professorship at UVIC this fall, and we moved
to Victoria.  I accepted a buy out from Plus Three, and while I am
still an owner, I no longer have voting rights, and am no longer
employed by Plus Three - so I am free and clear w/out any conflict of
interests.

> Have you checked in with Mock's employer?  They tried to hire me this
> last January or so, but I was already engaged elsewhere, so then
> ended up later bringing Mock from Vancouver instead.  At the time
> they were looking for lots of people, and maybe they still are.

No, I haven't.  I talked w/Phillipe at ActiveState about a job
opening, but they were looking for somebody local to Vancouver.
Thanks for the lead.

Good night,

Chuck