[VPM] perl 6 questions

Jer A jeremygwa at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 02:29:08 PDT 2007

hi all,

what is the performance comparison of perl 6 to perl 5.XX?

Is there a module 'use' overhead? what is the startup time like compared to
perl 5.XX?

Reason is, I am writing a server like script that loads other scripts into
memory, before they are needed. I believe I will be able to shorten the
over-head startup time (eg. module loading etc). The client scripts calls
the server using an IPC mechanism. The modules the script uses and the
script itself are persistant in memory on the server.

How long of a shelf life does perl 5.XX have left before perl 6 comes along?
Will there still be a demand for perl 5.XX interpreters?..eg 5.6,5.8?

I am kind of excited about this idea/project, and I do not want my efforts
to be pointless.

thanks in advance for all replies,

-Jer A.