[VPM] disk io stress

Jer A jeremygwa at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 28 04:01:33 PDT 2007

hello all,

this may not be a perl question

I am writing a random file like daemon, that serves requested files to
client machines, over tcp/ip.

If I max out the daemon, eg. 100's or 1000's of threaded requests a second,
which causes more stress to the disk.... long reads or short reads and rests
(eg. bursts) ? ( this does not consider cpu usage or memory). more than one
client may be requesting the same file, or they will be requesting different
files. these files can get very large.

I am trying to let a hd have a longer life, with out alot of admin
maintainance.

eg.
  while(datapeace)
{