[VPM] Tue, 2007 Feb 6th, 7:00PM - February RCSS meeting

Thu Feb 1 17:09:17 PST 2007

Forwarded from the "Recreational Computer Science Society" mailing
list. -- Darren Duncan

-------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:37:18 -0800
From: "Peter van Hardenberg" <pvh at pvh.ca>
To: reccompsci at googlegroups.com
Subject: [reccompsci] Meeting Announcement: February 6th, 7:00PM

Location:
--
UVic, Engineering and Computer Science Building, Ground Floor, first
lecture hall to your right as you enter from the in-campus side of the
building. (The usual.)

Topics:
--
*Implicit Surfaces (Guest Speaker: Dr. Brian Wyvill)
Dr. Wyvill, one of UVic CSC's most recent faculty additions, will be

*Compression Algorithms (Open Forum: Sergei Popov)
Sergei will, a particular focus on general purpose compression
algorithms, introduce the field in broad strokes by outlining a few of
the more common algorithms. From there, the floor will open up to
discussion.

*Application Widget Toolkits (Open Forum: Sunpreet Jassal)
With a focus on the C++ widget toolkit Qt, Sunpreet will open the
discussion to topics of application interface design. What widget sets
are better, which are worse, and why are they all so damn same-y after
all these years?

Notes:
--
This month's RCSS meeting will be a slightly different format from the
last few months. We will still have a guest presenter in the form of

Angela is working on a RCSS webpage, as those of you who follow the
general mailing list may have noticed. Hopefully it will be online by
the next meeting. If you have specific requests related to that, there
is an ongoing thread.

There is a Victoria Ruby Language group starting up these days. If you
are, or want to be, a Rubinista* watch this space for an official
group announcement. The first meeting will be some time in the next
few weeks.

-pvh

* inventing words is a time-honored tradition and one of my favorite hobbies
--
Peter van Hardenberg
Victoria, BC, Canada