[VPM] Nov 21 meeting

Wed Nov 8 00:49:09 PST 2006

At 10:24 AM -0800 11/7/06, Peter Scott wrote:
>Anyone got any proposals for the November meeting?

I think it has already been widely disseminated that I will be
talking about my Perl 5 database project, QDRDBMS, featuring a
walkthrough of whatever working code I have so far.  I touched on an
introduction at the Nov 4th RCSS meeting, but the Nov 21st VPM
meeting was to be the "show me the code" meat.

Note that I will need to use someone else's laptop since I currently
lack my own.  I will email the list sufficiently in advance of the
meeting with notices about what ought to be downloaded from where.

Actually, I'll just tell you now.

See: http://darrenduncan.net/QDRDBMS/

That contains the newest versions of the code files that actually do
something, even if they are in progress.  In particular, Value.pm is
the most interesting right now; it implements a bunch of strong data
types, of both the scalar and collection variety, and all type
conversion is explicit; this does form the foundation for anything
else.

So just download whatever you find in that folder as late as you can
before the meeting, but I will endeavour to not change it on the day
of the meeting itself.

Presuming my code actually executes (I will endeavour to make that
minor genealogy app work over it that I demo'd over SQLite in the
past), it has no external dependencies but what is bundled with Perl
5.8.1+ itself.

>I keep thinking that there are some people who want to hear basic
>information instead of bleeding edge stuff.  We're here for those
>people as well.  If anyone would be interested in any of the following,
>please let me know which one(s):
>
>Introduction to hashes
>Introduction to regular expressions
>A tour of array operations in Perl
>How to construct Perl subroutine libraries
>Introduction to object-oriented programming in Perl
>Basic CGI programming in Perl
>How to find and install CPAN modules

If we want to talk about other things too, I can share the time with
other speakers.  But otherwise, I think I could easily take up the 2
hours.

-- Darren Duncan