[VPM] proxy question

Steven Kurylo sk at infinitepigeons.org
Mon Jul 31 12:21:25 PDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Jer A <jeremygwa at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hello all gurus
>
> This is not really a perl question, more of an infrastructure question.
> I want to write a simple smtp/pop/imap proxy filter. the proxy will sit
> between the client (eg eudora) and the isp mailserver.
>
> I dont really need help implementing it, but how do I set this proxy up, so
> the clients can still use the same email settings (eg. mail.host.com etc),
> as If the proxy was never their.
>
> for example, I have computers on a network behind a linksys router. All
> computers are Win2000pro.
> a proxy would site on computer "a" .
> "b","c" and "d" would connect(smtp/pop/imap client) to the proxy on computer
> "a", which would connect to the mailserver on the internet. how do I have
> the settings on each computer remain pointed to the mailserver on the
> internet, even though they would connect to a proxy in between?

You need to make a transperant proxy.  If you're router was linux,
you'd use iptables to redirect the traffic to the proxy.  Then the
proxy  would make the connection out to the internet.

Instead of squid you would use your proxy:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy.html

I doubt you can do this with a linksys router.  I also don't know of
any windows tools for doing this.

--
Steven Kurylo