[VPM] proxy question

Jer A jeremygwa at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 21 19:05:35 PDT 2006

hello all gurus

This is not really a perl question, more of an infrastructure question.
I want to write a simple smtp/pop/imap proxy filter. the proxy will sit
between the client (eg eudora) and the isp mailserver.

I dont really need help implementing it, but how do I set this proxy up, so
the clients can still use the same email settings (eg. mail.host.com etc),
as If the proxy was never their.

for example, I have computers on a network behind a linksys router. All
computers are Win2000pro.
a proxy would site on computer "a" .
"b","c" and "d" would connect(smtp/pop/imap client) to the proxy on computer
"a", which would connect to the mailserver on the internet. how do I have
the settings on each computer remain pointed to the mailserver on the
internet, even though they would connect to a proxy in between?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jer A.