[VPM] June Meeting

Mon Jun 6 19:15:04 PDT 2005

At 4:54 PM -0700 6/6/05, Peter Scott wrote:
>Our next Victoria Perl Mongers meeting will be on the 21st; we're
>starting to get some new members, so I don't want to skip this
>one.

About the new members; how do you know?  I find most people are
silent so its hard to tell who's there.

>Who has something they want to present?  Alternatively, who has
>something they want to hear about?

Barring a topic of more general interest coming up, I can talk about:

1. My database modules some more.  They're actually coming close to
being useable to do real work.  One of my short term goals is to make
an emulator for DBI that sits utop them that allows programs written
for one database product by way of DBI to run on another one without
changes; I changed my mind about refactoring other CPAN modules as
mentioned last month, so won't do that.

2. My work using Pugs and writing Perl 6.  Unlike the last time I
spoke about Perl 6, I have code that actualy executes now.

All this said, I may or may not get a job offer sometime this week;
if I do, that will seriously cut into my time to do Perl work, and
may compromise my ability to speak; or, it may not.

So I can talk about things, but I suggest people bring up other ideas too.

>Note: I am currently reading Mark Jason Dominus' new book Higher Order
>Perl.  It rocks.  I believe it's available on-line, but the paper
>version is totally worth it.  Unless you happen to be a functional
>programming god already, this will change how you write programs.

Never read that one.  Please bring it along so I can browse through
it at the meeting.

-- Darren Duncan