[VPM] RFC - my Lightning Talk for OSCON 2005

Fri Jul 22 01:43:03 PDT 2005

All,

I have completed the first draft of my Lightning Talk for OSCON 2005,
which introduces 'Rosetta'.

I request your assistence to help me make this talk the best it can be.

You should send all replies to me by private email, so not to clutter the list.

Unless you want to, since victoria.pm is just our small local list anyway.

The draft is posted here, in plain text format:

http://darrenduncan.net/OSCON/OSCON2005LightningTalk.txt

As I get feedback, I will revise that copy of the document, so when
you see it that may not be how it started.

There are 3 main sections, the title, the brief summary, and the talk
itself; the last part only is what will actually be spoken aloud, and
I have no props.

First of all, this current version takes me about 8 minutes to read
aloud, and so should be cut to about half of its length, to aim for 4
minutes.

I would like to know about what sections of the talk itself are the
least useful and should be dropped.

Also, which ones have good content but should be reworded for easier
speaking and/or brevity.

Also, if I've made any factual errors regarding stuff besides my own
modules, I'd like to fix that.

Focus on the middle sections for the main editing work, which tend to ramble.

I spent the most clear-headed time on the first handful of paragraphs
plus the last 4 short lines, so I think they can stay as is.

Separately, if there are any suggestions for changing the title
and/or summary paragraph that gets sent as the talk submission, I
welcome them.

I need to submit the title + summary on July 22nd Friday (tomorrow),
which is to qualify the talk; the speech text can be edited up to
OSCON itself, though I prefer to get the bulk of it done asap.

Thank you all in advance.

-- Darren Duncan