[VPM] Victoria Perl Mongers meeting January 18

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Thu Jan 13 17:56:50 PST 2005

Victoria.pm will meet at its regular date and time, and a less common
place, on Tuesday, January 18, 7pm, at UVic.  The location is David F.
Strong Building C113.  See http://uvic.ca for maps if necessary.

At the first Victoria Perl Mongers meeting of 2005 we shall extend the
holiday spirit a bit and entertain ourselves with an exploration of
Damian Conway's SelfGOL.  See
http://libarynth.f0.am/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Libarynth/SelfGOL for source.

Yes, it's obfuscated (duh).  But that doesn't mean that this will be
(entirely) an exercise in unrolling useless obfuscation
techniques.  We'll discover quite a few useful and interesting features
of Perl along the way, useful and understandable to beginners and
experts.  In fact, Conway bases an entire seminar on this topic
(http://damian.conway.org/Seminars/Extreme.html).  We don't have as
long as he usually takes, so we may not finish.  But we'll have fun
nonetheless.  If you have a copy of the Camel or a laptop with Perl
installed, bring it along.

This will be a freewheeling exploration of numerous features of Perl
and the chance for everyone to ask questions and find out something new.

Other topics to be covered as time permits; make requests for anything
particular.

(Courtesy copy to VLUG members by permission of the list
manager.  Victoria.pm's home page is <http://victoria.pm.org/>.)
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies