[VPM] Date::Calc limits

Fri Feb 11 23:12:02 PST 2005

At 10:13 PM -0800 2/11/05, Jeremy Aiyadurai wrote:
>as quoted in Date::Calc documentation:
>
>"These functions can only deal with dates in the range from
>01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT to 19-Jan-2038 03:14:07 GMT (the latter
>limit is only authoritative on 32 bit systems, however, and can (in
>principle, through a few code changes) be extended somewhat :-) on
>64 bit systems)."
>
>does this mean, i would get extended functionality using a 64 bit
>processor (like athlon 64)? or do i need a 64 bit OS, or do i need
>both?

A partial answer to your question is "64 bit operating system".  Some
operating systems internally handle dates in 64 bits; eg: I heard
Windows 2000 did this; I'm not sure about which others.

On the other hand, it is perfectly possible for an application
program or library to handle 64 bit dates without needing OS or CPU
support for it.  Dates are just generic data anyway.

In any event, this is a software matter and not a hardware matter.

>also, how can the module be edited, to provide extended
>functionality, yet still work today with todays requirements?

I suggest you talk to the author of the Date::Calc module about that;
the author knows best.

-- Darren Duncan