[VPM] RFC: paying Canadians with US dollars

Tue Feb 8 13:43:50 PST 2005

I have a question for those of you experienced in either being a
contractor or in hiring contractors, particularly for technical or
computer jobs such as software programmers.  I am asking it from the
context that I plan to hire contractors myself in the future, mainly
for programming work.

1. How acceptable or normal is it for you, as a Canadian, to
negotiate a contract, either on a per-hour basis or a per-job basis,
denominated in American dollars, rather than in Canadian dollars?

This is assuming that you are living more or less full time in Canada
and your primary expenses are denominated in Canadian dollars; hence,
your effective income would be variable depending on the currency
exchange rates.

To simplify this question, assume you have the choice as to whether
any actual currency exchanging is being done by yourself or the other
party, so you can factor this detail out of your answer.

My reason for asking is that I am considering, with my new
Victoria-based consumer software business, to try and do all
accounting possible in terms of American dollars rather than Canadian
dollars.  I'm not sure how common this is, or whether it is even
possible considering government rules, or whether it is the best
choice.

At one end, I am already constrained to operate in American dollars
because my product sales prices are denominated in US dollars like
all computer products are.  Like with all other such products, the
price that Canadians pay for mine will vary based on the exchange
rate.  A majority of customers will probably be Americans, due to
their much greater relative population.

My thinking is that if I denominate all my primary expenses, namely
labour, in American dollars, then I will be fairly well insulated by
exchange rate changes, since most in and out is in the same currency.
At the same time, I expect that most people who work for me will be
in Victoria (a few will live in other countries).  Where possible, I
will get all my main bank accounts and credit accounts to be US
dollar denominated.  Probably the main stuff I'll have to deal with
in Canadian dollars is rent, utilities, and taxes.

To mitigate losses from the currency conversion process, I would
expect to have 2 main savings accounts, one US$ and one CDN$.  All
transactions involving either currency would draw from or deposit
into the account of the same currency.  Then any converting will only
be done on an as-needed basis, between those two accounts, if one
needs to be replenished from the other.  Hence, as little converting
as possible is done.

2. So have you heard of any Canadian businesses operating this way
before?  Anything to watch out for, such as government rules?

3. Would you be willing to accept such a fluctuating rate in your own
pay, if you were in this position?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. -- Darren Duncan