[VPM] network questions.

Jeremy Aiyadurai jeremygwa at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 21:03:48 CDT 2004

Hi all

I have some questions.

my router has a dhcp server. this is not the case with all networks, is it?
given the broadcast address, (router address), what would be a good perl
algorithm for (pinging) detecting
all machines.
eg. if router address (default gateway) is 192.168.1.1, then it would be
192.168.1.(1 -254 possibilities).
that is easy to figure out, for a normal lan,
but what if the router (default gateway) address is different.

what is a good algorithm, that is optimal for testing for machines, given
any default gateway address.
I know there are 16.7 million possibilities, but no network is going to be
that big.

also, what is a subnet mask? should this be used for the algorthim instead
of the gateway address? can this be used for figuring what ip's to check?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

Jeremy A.