[VPM] Re: Types of LAN's for compatibility

Fri Jun 11 18:39:59 CDT 2004

At 2:50 PM -0700 6/11/04, Jeremy Aiyadurai wrote:
>what makes a LAN, a normal LAN?
>how many types a LAN's are there, and what would be the ip ranges?
>eg. my lan is 192.168.1.* (eg. * = 1 - 254).
>The reason i am asking these questions is I dont know too much about
>lan computing, but need
>to know, so my client/server app, will be able to work on any type of lan.
>Thanks in advance,
>Jeremy A.

I don't recall all the details, but some person or organization can
be allocated different blocks of IP addresses for their use, with
names like A, B, and C; depending what you have, you can work with
either 256, or 65,536, or 16.7 million different IP addresses.
Checking the status of 256 is easy, checking the much larger numbers
is not usually practical.  That's sort of what I'm getting at. --
Darren Duncan