[VPM] deallocating memory of multi-threaded server while IDLE.

Wed Feb 11 01:58:26 CST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jeremy Aiyadurai wrote:
> how do i free up memory when a multi-threaded process is idle.
> my problem is when ever i create a thread, it eats up more memory. when the
> thread is done, the thread disappears, but the memory is not freed (by
> looking at windows task manager).
> so i'd like to free up memory when the process is idle.
> thanks in advance for any help.

In my understanding, Perl itself has a limitation that, while it can reuse
memory allocated to it, it can not or will never return any of its memory
to the system (except when it exits).  I don't think you can get around
this, and it would affect every platform.  I could be wrong, though, about
the general limitation.  (I also wouldn't be surprised if Parrot didn't
have that limitation.) -- Darren Duncan