[VPM] database frontend

Carl B. Constantine cconstan at csc.UVic.CA
Tue Mar 18 16:15:05 CST 2003

sorry, the last one didn't go to the list.

*On Tue Mar 18, 2003 at 12:40:20PM -0800, nkuipers (nkuipers at uvic.ca) wrote:
> >I've just been using CGI and the Pg module
>
> Carl,
>
> Just out of curiosity, why do you use the Pg module as opposed to DBI (which
> would pull in DBD::Pg with the appropriate call to DBI->connect)?  The reason
> I ask is that the interface of DBI is clean and standardized, and so the
> impression I've gotten is that it is generally what's used.  But there must be
> a reason for the existence of Pg...perhaps a frequent user wouldn't mind
> sharing his wisdom. :)

At the time we decided to do this, Pg was the best solution for our
needs. We didn't need the extra abstraction that DBI provides. It was
also pretty quick. There were some other issues that my co-worker at the
time looked into and decided we should just use Pg.

For the may term, I will be installing Perl::DBI and DBI::Pg.
Our CGI's will probably still use Pg though as we have a few modules
that depend on it (including a nifty SQLFail routine and various others)
and it works well and fast.

--
Carl B. Constantine         University of Victoria
Programmer Analyst          http://www.csc.uvic.ca