[VPM] database frontend

nkuipers nkuipers at uvic.ca
Tue Mar 18 14:59:43 CST 2003

>Perhaps if you outlined briefly what kind of "screens" you want your web
>interface to have.

Good idea. :)

>Eg: what would be presented to a user initially

A welcome page with a list of links, some of which are user/password
protected.
One username and one password is sufficient for my purposes; we just want to
allow any approved guest read-only access to the database.

>what they would do there

No updating the database.  Queries only, with nice webformatted output.  The
fields of my main table that I want to be queryable are:

locus: int
cluster: int
length: int

accession: varchar
type: varchar
name: text

All fields should accept lists of arguments, ie., "all repeats located in
clusters 58,2000"  Numeric fields should accept ranges also ie., "all repeats
located in clusters 58-2000", or "all repeats where length is less than 500
and greater than 301".

The second group of fields, other than accession which must be case-sensitive
and in all other ways totally specific, should allow "fuzzy" querying, ie, a
request of "all repeats of type sInE" is interpretted as a case-insensitive
mapping to the actual type "SINE", or "all repeats where name contains the
text 'fooper dooper'".

>From the above description you can imagine the sorts of buttons and text
fields might be required.

>what should result, etc.

For now, a simple (but uniformly formatted) HTML dump is sufficient, I'd work
out the actual formatting later.

Thanks,

Nathanael