[VPM] database frontend

nkuipers nkuipers at uvic.ca
Tue Mar 18 13:34:13 CST 2003

Fellow Mongers,

You've seen me progress through various stages with my project and Perl, and
now I'm at a new stage.

I've got a Postgres database with about 20,000 entries from the salmonid
genome project, mined from about 80,000+ sequences as being significant, by my
Perl software. The database is very very simple at this point. What I need to
do is throw up a correspondingly simple but effective web frontend for
querying. I did a supersearch at PerlMonks on "database frontend" and from
this I extracted the following tools for doing this:

o CGI
o DBI/DBIx::HTMLinterface
o HTML::Mason/HTML::Template
o LWP

as well as the book "Programming the Perl DBI" (which I happen to have). There
were less than 30 threads in the sections I searched, and the relevant ones
were from around 2001 (and dealing with MySQL, although I wouldn't think this
matters). Are these tools (other than DBI/CGI, I would imagine they are
involved) still the defacto standard? I've never done anything like this,
including zero LWP or CGI experience. What are your suggestions? Any ideas
welcome.

tia, ttyl, "and all that jazz". :)

nathanael