[VPM] Next Meeting

Tue Jul 15 22:38:00 CDT 2003

Peter Scott said:
>When shall we meet next week?  I shall spur attendance by offering a free copy of the User Friendly book, "Evil Geniuses in a Nutshell," from O'Reilly, to an attendee to be chosen at random.
>
>I can report on OSCON 2003 and the 7th Perl Conference.  Does anyone have a technical topic they want to present?  If not, I can vamp one from the notes for the tutorials I took (PAR, Performance Profiling, Template Toolkit, DocBook).

I can't currently think of any evening conflicts at the moment.  However, next week may work better than other weeks for me, as I already know I will be in Victoria every day next week, and won't have to make a special trip from deep cove.

As for a discussion topic, one suggestion basically is that if you have something you want to present then do it.  I would like it if you at least said a few things about the conferences you went to, even if they aren't the main topic.

Regarding a few things that I would like to know how to do, if someone wants to present on these then it could help me, most important items first:

- How to compile Perl and/or C/XS extensions for it and/or other OSS stuff you download, rather than just using fully linked binaries.  For example, I don't know how install non pure Perl extensions such as gd or libxml that aren't already installed for me.

- Making standalone executable binaries out of Perl programs (for multiple platforms) so that I can distribute a program commercially that I made with Perl without exposing the source code.

- Using XML or XSLT with Perl.

So those are my current suggestions.

Thank you. -- Darren Duncan