Module submission DBIx::Portable (fwd)

Mon Jan 6 12:06:58 CST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Peter Scott wrote:
> I don't see why it should be branded.

I don't see why it should be either.  I actually prefer a descriptive
name.  That said, I don't have a problem with using a top-level namespace
per-se, in the same way that DBI itself does.

> Yes.  Unless I grossly misunderstood, you created a system that allowed
> people to perform database operations without SQL knowledge or being
> tied to a specific platform.  DBIx:: seemed the right place and
> Portable seemed the right name.

You are correct about the intent of my system, but there is a possible
advantage of my own top level (shorter module names).

> Alzabo and Tangram are massive systems designed for completely taking
> over  implementing persistence for an object hierarchy via an RDBMS.  I
> tend to think of them as being portable ways of emulating an OODBMS on
> an RDBMS.  I can't see how they compare to what you've done.  Branding
> them makes sense because you really end up getting married to the
> product in order to use it, and have to invest a lot of learning to get there.

Thank you for this.  I will use it in my reply.  That said, are you
willing to participate in modules at perl.org yourself?  Meaning, can you
quote what Tim said and send your reply or explanation to the Modules
List?  That would probably help my position and/or the situation there.

I appreciate your time and effort. -- Darren Duncan