Module submission DBIx::Portable (fwd)

Peter Scott peter at PSDT.com
Mon Jan 6 11:51:11 CST 2003

At 09:43 AM 1/6/03 -0800, Darren Duncan wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Peter Scott wrote:
> > I didn't think you were clustering multiple modules like this.  You
> > certainly don't seem to be in the same arena as those two products.
>
>Can you please clarify what you mean by this (and preferably soon, as I
>am writing a reply to Tim and the Modules List right now).
>
>For example, do you mean that you did not know that my release
>consists of about a dozen closely related (to be used together) modules?

No.

>Or, do you mean that what I am doing should not be in a top level
>namespace (I actually like a top level namespace)?

No.

>Or, do you mean that I should not have a 'brand name' because I didn't
>intend to before?

I don't see why it should be branded.

>Or, did you think that my solution was less complicated or targeted
>differently than Alzabo or Tangram?

Yes.  Unless I grossly misunderstood, you created a system that allowed
people to perform database operations without SQL knowledge or being
tied to a specific platform.  DBIx:: seemed the right place and
Portable seemed the right name.

Alzabo and Tangram are massive systems designed for completely taking
over  implementing persistence for an object hierarchy via an RDBMS.  I
tend to think of them as being portable ways of emulating an OODBMS on
an RDBMS.  I can't see how they compare to what you've done.  Branding
them makes sense because you really end up getting married to the
product in order to use it, and have to invest a lot of learning to get there.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies