[VPM] [RFC] SQL::AST (SQL Abstract Syntax Tree) - DBI related

Mon Aug 11 19:54:14 CDT 2003

At 4:04 PM -0700 8/11/03, Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
>Personally when I see AST I think of VMS and A-Synchronous Traps.
>
>I notice that a google search shows the achronym AST is used for many
>computer related things besides abstract syntax trees.
>
>The CPAN rules suggest avoiding achronyms.
>
>On the other hand I find the name SQL::AbstractSyntaxTree to be pretty
>much self explanatory, unlike the shorter variations, and the only issue
>is that is a little bit long.  I'm not sure that shortening the name of
>the module is a sensible "optimization" of anything.
>
>The code a programmer needs to write could still be be pleasantly terse
>
>	$ast = new SQL::AbstractSyntaxTree();
>
>	$ast->Method()... etc.
>
>$0.02

Thank you both for your feedback.  It was greatly appreciated, along with the reasoning that went with it.  It's also a good sign when two people independantly suggest the same name.  It also sounds good to me, I think I will go with SQL::AbstractSyntaxTree for a name.  (Of course, I am still open to hearing other opinions or additions.)  Have a good day. -- Darren Duncan