question about the nature of DBM ties

nkuipers nkuipers at uvic.ca
Tue Sep 24 16:59:20 CDT 2002

>===== Original Message From abez <abez at abez.ca> =====
>Have you tried it without saving to file?

You mean without that tie statement?  Yes.  With and without.  Makes no
difference to the speed of the computation.  The array of values that the
unique sub must check before adding a new value grows so scans take longer and
longer to execute.  Although I would think that continuously dumping to the
DBM file (rather than building up the hash in memory) would leave more memory
for other stuff, anyway. I was looking through CPAN and saw a module called
Array-Unique-0.03 which probably implements what I need (growing an anonymous
array of unique values) more efficiently.  I need to get the sysadmin to
install it though since I am not root. *sigh*

nathanael