Meeting next week?

Tue Nov 12 14:32:21 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, nkuipers wrote:
> M-W evenings would work for me.  I'll go out on a limb and say Tuesday.
> nathanael

Tuesday should probably work for me too.  I have a ride that is usually
at UVIC on tuesday, so I can avoid taking the bus home to the Sidney area
afterwards.  This said, at the last meeting I was fortunate to have a ride
from someone (Rockie) to the bus stop down town, so other week days would
probably also work.

Regarding discussion material, if someone else doesn't have plans then I
could probably give the talk this month.  Currently my favorite tasks are
either talking to databases or making complex web applications.  That
said, due to my busy work schedule, I may not have any written material to
bring and would have to do it all out of my head or on the white-board
(which is how I did the amateur Perl tutorials to 1st year Camosun
students).

Hopefully as well I can get around to drafting that new database-access
module that I mentioned on the list about a month ago, so I can get
feedback for it on the list-serv or at the meeting.

Or, perhaps those ideas could be combined, and part of the meeting could
serve the purpose of giving people practice at designing and implementing
a new module which would then be cleaned up and posted on CPAN.  You know,
a practical team project meeting or JAD, where we could practice our Perl
skills on something that would actually get used, rather than just being a
throw-away example.

If this idea is acceptible, then I could write a requirements document to
post on the list-serv or bring to the meeting, and we could do some design
stuff at the meeting.  And part of that design would be coming up with a
*name* for the module.

Of course, having thought about this for a few months already, I already
have a good idea for what I would want to do as far as design and
implementation goes, so this would serve as my input into the design
process.  But I haven't thought out all the details yet, and so we may
have a good opportunity here to consider the needs of people in the
community other than myself from the beginning of implementation.

I look forward to your comments. -- Darren Duncan