RFC: suggest DBIx::Layer or similar for module name

Tue Dec 3 00:29:18 CST 2002

>I agree with Peter's assessment.  And just to be a loser, I'll throw out some
>more name ideas:
>
>DBIx::Accomodate
>DBIx::LessSQL
>
>Nathanael Kuipers

Thanks for your input.  I hadn't even thought of something like 'Accomodate' yet, so that's new.  Also interesting, but a tad long.  Now, what do you mean by "and just to be a loser"?

On a different note, I will probably continue with 'DBIx::Portable' for the time being, but I thought I could include some of the other concepts in the one-liner description that goes with the 'Name' of a module's POD, and in the module list.

I will probably start with a variant of this description for the first release, with this DSLIP (the size limit for description is 44 chars):

Name-------------- DSLIP 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234 Author-
DBIx::
::Portable         adpOp Multilevel, fast, flexible RDBMS abstraction DUNCAND

When I write an actual "Description" section in my POD and other documentation / implementation, I should have a lot more inspiration for how to amend the above description to be more accurate.  One target application type is large data-dictionary driven apps.

For a possible reference of how that would stand out, I have included at the end of this letter the same type of information that is published for a number of related modules (incomplete; most are from the registered module list, and not all grouped together there either, a few I didn't see there but on the search site).  So I need something that says how it is unique from them, for the most part.

Have a good day. -- Darren Duncan

Class::
::DBI              adpOp Simple SQL-based object persistance          TMTM

DBFramework        adpO? is a collection of classes for manipulating DBI databases  PSHARPE

DBI                MmcOp Generic Database Interface (see DBD modules) DBIML

DBI::
::Format           bmpO? Defined display formats for data from DBI    TLOWERY
::Shell            ????? Interactive command shell for the DBI        TIMB

DBIx::
::Abstract         RmpO? Wrapper for DBI that generates SQL           TURNERA
::AnyDBD           bdpO? Module to make cross db applications easier  MSERGEANT
::Browse           bdpOg A class to browse related tables via CGI/Web EJDRS
::DataSource       ????? Database-independant create and drop functions  IVAN
::CGITables        adpO? Easy DB access from a CGI                    TOBIX
::Chart            adpOa extends DBI & SQL w/ charting capabilities   DARNOLD
::Copy             adpO? Copying databases                            TOBIX
::dbMan            bmpOp Tk/cmdline database manipulating tool        MILSO
::DBSchema         bmpOp Database-independent schema objects          IVAN
::FetchLoop        RdpOg Fetch with change detection and aggregates   BITS
::FullTextSearch   bmpOp Index documents with MySQL as storage        TJMATHER
::glueHTML         bdpO? CGI interface to DBI databases               JFURNESS
::HTMLView         cdpO? Creating web userinterfaces to DBI dbs       HAKANARDO
::OracleSequence   adpOp OO access to Oracle sequences via DBD-Oracle BLABES
::Password         MdpO? Abstration layer for database passwords      KROW
::Recordset        bmpO? DB-Abtractionlayer / Access via Arrays/Hashs GRICHTER
::SchemaView       adpf? Retrieving and drawing of DB schema (Tk)     MILSO
::SearchBuilder    ????? Perl extension for easy SQL SELECT Statement generation  JESSE
::Sequence         MdpOp Database independent ID generation           BBEAUSEJ
::SystemCatalog    RdpO? Accessing system catalog in common databases MILSO
::Table            bdpO? OO access to DBI database tables             DLOWE
::TableAdapter     adpOa A object-relational table adapter class      GED
::TextIndex        bdpOp Creates fulltext indexes of SQL text columns DKOCH
::Tree             adpO? Expand self-referential table into a tree    BJEPS
::XHTML_Table      RdpOp SQL query result set to XHTML table          JEFFA
::XMLMEssage       bdpOp Exchange of XML messages between DBI sources ANDREIN
::XML_RDB          ????? Creates XML from DBI datasources             MSERGEANT

DBIx::Lookup::
::Field            Rdpfp Create a lookup hash from a database table   MARCEL

Persistent::
::DBI              bdpO? Persistent abstract class for DBI databases  DWINTERS

Relations          adphp Database, CGI, and Graph Interfunctionality  GAFFER

SQL::
::Abstract         ????? Generate SQL from Perl data structures       NWIGER
::Builder          adpO? OO interface for creating SQL statements     ZENIN
::Generator        adpOg Generate SQL-queries via OO perl             MUENALAN
::Schema           bdpO? Convert a data dictionary to SQL statements  TODD
::Snippet          bdpOp Constraint-based OO Interface to RDBMS       PRL
::Statement        adcO? Small SQL parser and engine                  JWIED

SQL::QueryBuilder::
::Simple           ????? Generates simple SQL SELECT queries          RRWO