[Van-pm] Tech Meeting, 13th January 2010 (and 2009 recap)

Scott McWhirter scott+vancouver.pm at konobi.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 19:00:02 PST 2010

Hi All,

Well a new year is upon us and it's been a pretty great year for
Vancouver Perl Mongers and going into 2010 it's going to be awesomer.

In 2009 we had 11 tech meetings, with the exception of June(?) due to
my having to be in London. However I'm very grateful to Christie
Wilson for picking up the leadership role while I was away and making
a great success of the 3 or 4 meetings that happened while I was away.

In 2009 we had talks about Perl, Event driven systems, Moose,
Continuous Integration, processing gigabytes of stellar information,
git, Catalyst, MongoDB, Profiling, Map Reduce, OpenGL and more!

I believe this to be a great "first" year to Van.pm and I'm hoping to
kick it up a notch in 2010. So, here's what I have planned for us:

1) I believe that we should cross-pollinate with other user-groups and
tech folk in Vancouver and for that reason, I'm able to announce that
we'll be moving our meetings to The Network Hub
(http://www.thenetworkhub.ca @ 422 Richards St.); thanks muchly to
Minna Van for the use of the space.

I'd also like to thank our current hosts, Gossamer Threads, for the
use of their space; special thanks to Alex and Aki for making it all
happen for us.

2) I want to get more out-of-town speakers into Vancouver. I'm still
trying to line things up for the Vancouver Perl Workshop, but I can
confirm that both Jerry Gay (President of the Parrot Foundation) and
Helen Cook (a former Van.pm leader) will be coming to Vancouver to
give talks. I'm also hoping to meet/visit with a few other West Coast
Perl Monger groups to spark some interest in visits.

3) The survey that I took a while back was overwhelmingly positive and
I'm going to take some feedback from it and roll that into the Van.pm
plan.

So...

January 13th Meeting...

I'm unfortunately going to be out of town on Business, so I'll need
someone to step forward to be the host for the evening. I'm also
putting out a call for speakers, so if you have anything you want to
talk about or share, please let me know and I'll get you lined up!

Thanks,

--
-Scott McWhirter- | -Technology Consultant-
[ Cloudtone Studios - http://www.cloudtone.ca ]