[Van-pm] September 8 Meeting - Speakers & Hosting

Jan Dubois jand at activestate.com
Mon Aug 9 10:42:52 PDT 2010

Andreas Hernitscheck wrote:
> There is also a gui editor, But IMHO perl and guis is nothing I would
> recommend at all.

Why not?  Writing user-friendly GUIs in *any* language is hard work,
and I think it is actually easier in dynamic languages than in say C++. :)

At ActiveState we write all GUIs for Perl tools with Tkx (a binding to
Tcl/Tk), which produces native GUIs for Windows, OS X and X-Windows,
and I know others are pretty happy with wxPerl as cross-platform GUI
toolkit as well.

As for Tkx, I think the Perl-Critic GUI frontend included in the Perl
Dev Kit looks pretty cool ( you can download a free trial if you want
to try it out yourself, or just a demo on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgykR6tHsRU ).

But anyways, what is the reason you think GUIs and Perl don't mix?

Cheers,
-Jan