[Van-pm] Reminder: Tech Meeting, 12th March 2009 @ Sophos

Scott McWhirter scott+vancouver.pm at konobi.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 13:54:16 PST 2009

Hi all,

Thanks to all for the awesome response to talk requests, it looks like
it's going to be a great meeting, I'm really looking forward to it!
Since the meeting is coming up on Thursday, here's a quick reminder
along with some updates.

There are 3 talks lined up:

* Luke Closs - "Git backed up"
    Using git, Perl and OCaml to develop a backup solution.

* Robin Clarke - "An introduction to Catalyst"
    Catalyst is a powerful MVC (Model, View, Controller) web framework
which has allowed our team to work better in parallel and more
effectively on our web application development.

* Andreas Hernitscheck - "Object-Oriented XML-RPC Server on Linux with Perl"
    A description of a possible way how to build a server for XML-RPC
communication, especially how to solve the problem of keeping objects
in memory and access them again by further calls from a client.

We also have several lightning talks lined up:

* Scott McWhirter - "Intro to Varnish"
* Scott McWhirter - "Intro to AWS"
* Chris Simmons - "Intro to Lean Development"
* Luke Closs - "Intro to webhooks"
* Luke Closs - "Hacking the Van.pm wiki"
* Orlando Vazquez - "Distributed blender rendering with perl"

If anyone feels like doing a lightning talk about any topic at all,
please feel free
to add yourself to the lineup on the wiki or drop me an email and I'll add you.

Sophos have graciously offered space for our meeting. Their office is at 580
Granville Street in downtown Vancouver (Google map: http://xrl.us/beco9t).
Sophos is on the North Eastern corner of the Dunsmuir and Granville
intersection. Their offices are above the shoppers drug mart, with the
entrance to the left of the building.

After-meeting drinks:

Elephant and Castle is on the north western corner of the intersection
at West Hastings St at Burrard St. (Google Map: http://xrl.us/behyq9).
Please feel free to suggest alternate locations.

Background on speakers:

Luke - Local Vancouver perl hacker and juggler at large. Luke develops
software for wiki group Socialtext and is active with groups such as
Vancouver hackspace, FreeGeek and is the maintainer for the perl bindings
for Selenium RC. Luke also organizes impromtu "super happy dev house"
hacking sessions (more on that when we hear from him).

Robin - Hailing from Ireland and after spending some time in Germany,
has moved to Vancouver. Robin works as a software engineer working
with Perl/MySQL in online marketing.

Andreas - "I am just a developer, 33 years old from Munich and a guest
to Vancouver for some days."

Other details:

The Vancouver.pm wiki is available at http://www.socialtext.net/vanpm/
please feel free to edit away. Thanks to Luke Closs and Socialtext for
hosting it for us. I am in the process of transferring
http://vancouver.pm.org over to point at the wiki.

I have also set up a LinkedIn Vancouver Perl Mongers group available here:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1756057

thanks,

--
-Scott McWhirter- | -konobi-