[Van-pm] Strange code effect

Ted Powell ted at psg.com
Tue Dec 22 22:40:07 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:49:13PM -0800, Joseph Werner wrote:
> Hey guys [and gals],
>
> I encountered a strange Perl code phenomenon dealing with some object
> references, and and array of object references. Specifically, I could
> [...]
> The code is all proprietary,  and the powers that be frown on release
> of any sort, so I will pseudo code what I am talking about. We are
> [...]

Sorry, my pseudo code debugger is in the shop.

It's not especially likely that your problem is related to the proprietary
aspects of your program. So you should be able to produce a small test
program that compiles cleanly with Perl, contains no proprietary elements,
and yet exhibits the same problem.

In the course of doing that you may well solve the problem yourself,
for example if the bug goes away between one stage of simplification
and the next.  Failing that, you will have something that the rest of
us can use non-pseudo debugging tools upon.

>From your description of the problem, the first thing I would want to try
would be to run the program (or a test program that is known to fail on
your system) on a different platform, but with only pseudo code I can't
run it at all.

--
Ted Powell <ted at psg.com>   http://psg.com/~ted/
This is *my* computer, not Microsoft's.