[Van-pm] Recap: May 9th meeting

Chris Simmons simmons.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:29:07 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Here's an email version of the most recent posting on http://vancouver.pm.org.

---

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who came out to the first
meeting of the new Vancouver.pm. There were just under 20 people
present, including visitors from out of town. After eating some pizza
(thanks, ActiveState!) and washing it down with some beverages
(thanks, Sophos!), we got started.

Luke Closs began with an excerpt of his upcoming YAPC::NA talk,
Hacktastic Wiki Tricks. Luke gave an overview of several of the tools
that he's written for accessing the Socialtext wiki software, all of
which are made possible by using an innovative REST API. Be sure to
check out Luke's pages on Hacktastic Wiki Tricks, as well as his
wikrad screencast.

Kirsten Jones was up next, briefly showing off how The Perl
Foundation's website will soon be powered by a wiki while maintaining
its current styling. After this, she talked about OpenID, with
examples of usage and a short discussion on how to implement OpenID in
Perl.

Next was an impromptu (but much appreciated) talk by Ingy döt Net,
discussing his well-used module YAML, his work on YAML2, and a
discussion of various community efforts related to YAML, such as
libyaml, YAML::Syck, and JSON::Syck.

After a brief intermission (with much socializing and pizza), we sat
back down to listen to the final speaker, Bill Odom, president of The
Perl Foundation (TPF). Bill started off with a bit of an overview of
TPF, discussing its mission, grant system, and other interesting
tidbits. Bill then opened up the floor to questions, and gave in-depth
answers to queries about everything from TPF financials to Perl 6.

Thanks again to all of our presenters and attendees. I haven't decided
if meetings will be monthly or bi-monthly over the summer, but either
way you can either check out this website or the mailing list for
details.

-chris