[Van-pm] Greetings, and is anyone looking to live in Hawaii?

Andy Gibb agg at phas.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 25 08:59:51 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

On behalf of some work colleagues I'm sending round an advert for a
Perl job based at the Joint Astronomy Centre in Hilo, Hawaii to work
on developing software to be used in the monitoring, handling,
distributing and scientific analysis of astronomical data.

Full details and application info are here:
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/admin/employment/Programmer1_0307.html

Tim Jenness is the co-author of the book `Extending and Embedding
Perl'. They're a really good bunch to work with, so if anyone feels
like living the laid-back lifestyle then I encourage you to apply.

Unfortunately the deadline is this Friday, the 27th April so time is
rather short.

So, who am I? A quick intro then... I work at UBC on astronomical
software development for a new instrument to go on the James Clerk
Maxwell Telescope in Hawaii. The data processing pipeline for this
instrument is written entirely in OO Perl but I also get my hands
dirty with C. My background is astronomical research (brought up on
Fortran) and I used to have fun writing code in my spare time while
being paid to do research. Now it's the other way round... :) I've
been in Vancouver for 2.5 years or so, and playing with Perl for about
three.

Cheers,
 	Andy