[Van-pm] New website, upcoming hackathon, and next meeting

Chris Simmons simmons.chris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:15:39 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Sorry for the silence, it's taken some time to get everything set up.
Now that I've got it going, I'd like to point you the new Vancouver.pm
website (still located at http://vancouver.pm.org). I just hacked up a
quick Wordpress blog, as the prospect of using WebDAV to edit static
html didn't really appeal to me. I'm very open to suggestions on
content and layout, and if anyone wants to submit some writeups I can
set you up with an account. If you're not a fan of the new site, don't
worry, you can either subscribe to the RSS feed (available on the
site) or keep checking this mailing list, which will still get updates
on upcoming events and such.

Next, there's going to be a hackathon at the Bryght offices (in
Gastown) on Friday, May 11th, from 1pm to 1am. There are already quite
a few people signed up, and it promises to be a great opportunity to
hack and meet other perl hackers. More information can be found on the
Socialtext Open Source wiki
(http://www.socialtext.net/stoss/index.cgi?super_happy_grow_op_dev_house)
- Socialtext is a Palo Alto based Wiki company that employs a lot of
talented perl programmers, and they're helping plan the hackathon as
part of a week long company excursion in Vancouver.

Since we'll have a few extra perl enthusiasts in town that week, I'd
like to organize a meeting for Wednesday, May 9th, at the Sophos
offices (580 Granville Street, downtown Vancouver). I'm thinking 7pm
for a start time, and I'll try to organize some sponsorship for pizza
or some other edible. I've already got one or two ideas for
presentations, but anyone who would like to present something, from a
5 minute lightning talk to a 30 minute in-depth talk, please let me
know.

-chris