[Van-pm] yapc 2006

Helen Cook hvc at cpan.org
Sun Oct 2 14:20:49 PDT 2005

On 10/1/05, Luke Closs <lukec at activestate.com> wrote:
> we're going to do this, I think we need at least 5-10 people committed
> to organizing it.

There are 3 main categories of things that need to be done, plus someone
to coordinate everyone, ensure that everything is actually completed,
and break symmetry to avoid indecision

- dealing with the venue
- internet
- sponsorship

One committed person for each of these, plus a legion of volunteers
should be sufficient.

> I imagine we'll look at sfu, bcit, ubc (amongst others)?

I see two main possibilities:

- downtown
- ubc point grey campus

(I'm eliminating sfu burnaby and bcit burnaby because they are sort of
crap locations -- nothing interesting nearby (restaurants,
entertainment) and hard to get to without a car.)

downtown has many possible venues

- a school
-- bcit is promising (max capacity 300)
-- sfu downtown has max cap 250, thinking this is too small
-- ubc downtown has max cap 240
-- need to call vcc
- library is promising (max cap 300)
- a theatre
-- pacific cinematheque is too small
-- need to call new film centre
- a venue hall
-- need to call commodore, concern: internet
-- need to call canada place, plaza of nations
-- others?
- a museum
-- planetarium is too small and too awkward for our numbers
-- need to call science world, likely same issue
- a hotel (very likely too expensive)

We need to price each possibility out in detail before we can decide.

> I'll talk to ActiveState/Sophos about the possiblity of being a
> sponsor.

Excellent.

So, trees, tomorrow at 7pm.

--h