[Van-pm] yapc 2006

Luke Closs lukec at ActiveState.com
Sat Oct 1 14:22:41 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 06:06:54PM -0700, Helen Cook wrote:
> So there was some talk earlier about having yapc in vancouver.  Lucky
> for us, since no proposals have been submitted, the deadline for 2006
> has been extended to October 15th.

Crazyness.  While I think it would be really fun, and we could do a
good job, this is a LOT of work.  I was involved in organizing the
Victoria Juggling Festival this year, and it's a lot of work.  So if
we're going to do this, I think we need at least 5-10 people committed
to organizing it.

> I've been gathering prices and max capacities from potential local
> venues.  Will has graciously offered to loan us CanSec's a/v equipment
> (2 projectors, audio equipt for 1, possibly 2 tracks) and networking
> gear (lots).
>
> Still todo:
> 1.) Decide on venue and possible alterate venue.

I imagine we'll look at sfu, bcit, ubc (amongst others)?

> 2.) Look into hotels and dorm/hostel space (of course this will be
> determined by the venue location).
> 3.) Sort out things like chairs, dividers, catering, if not provided by
> the venue.
> 4.) Feel out sponsorship possibilities.

I'll talk to ActiveState/Sophos about the possiblity of being a
sponsor.

> I propose the following: anyone who is seriously interested in helping
> plan this join me Monday night (Oct 3rd) at Trees, and we can sort out
> who's going to do what, then we will reconvene the following Monday (Oct
> 10th) to pick the best possible solutions (and alternatives) and write
> up the proposal.

Cool.

Luke

--