[Van-pm] mod_perl 2.0 tutorial: date and time

Stas Bekman stas at stason.org
Wed Jul 7 12:15:56 CDT 2004

Hi Eric,

> Some questions:
>
> - So this is defiantly happening on Saturday at 1PM?
>
> - Where will it be held?

I've forwarded the announcement to the list.

> - I read over the handout/book :) Is this a general outline of your talk
> or just related resource material?

No, this is the exact material I'm hoping to cover. I won't go into as
much detail as the handouts, that's why you have the book.

> - I hope to bring at least one or two other people. But I want to ask,
> what are you getting out of this besides practice? What do you want?
> Beer? Money? Praise? All of those are options for me to offer and I have
> convinced my company to pay for the visit to Vancouver, but a few people
> were a little daunted by that PDF :) All I am looking for myself is to
> learn a few things that I didn't expect to learn, and hopefully one day
> have a problem to solve and think, oh yeah from the Vancouver thing!

I do it in the spirit of the open source, we share the code, share the
knowledge, share the expertise, I help you, you help him, he helps me,
it doesn't all have to be in the same field -- it's a universal sharing
experience. Think natural barter if you will :)

The best thing the students can do to reward the teacher, is to do they
homework and come prepared. It's the most rewarding to teach when you
see that the students are prepared, and you explain the nuances of the
complicated things, not basics which one can easily learn on their own.

I'm not sure why Vancouver.pm is having about one meeting per year. May
be folks are just too busy, or may be the weather is just too good. For
example when I lived in Melbourne, AU, there the monthly meetings are
quite busy, several people do talks each time, share their knowledge,
and lots of good ideas were started there too, which eventually were
released on CPAN as modules. After the talks, there is always the social
food/drink which is fun. May be Vancouver.pm could learn from its
down-under neigbours :)

> - I am not a member of Van-pm, should I bring money, sacrificial goats
> what? So far the plan is to bring a notebook.

- Have a good sleep the night before, so you won't have to fight the
temptation to fall asleep, as late afternoon is the best time for siesta.

- Try to go through the material, see what you are interested in, read
that material in detail. Granted there is not much time left, but there
is still time.

- Install mod_perl 2.0, and play with it, so you can get a first hand
experience.

- Overall, come with a good mood :)