[Tyneside-pm] *tap* *tap*

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 15:07:49 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 06:18:09PM +0100, Alice Wood wrote:

> > The 2005 Costa del NewcastleGateshead brochure is very different:
> > (Druridge) Bay Watch, Footballer's Wives, Cafe & Quayside[*] Culture, ...
> >
> > [*] Malaria prophylactics recommended near the river.
> >
> > :-)
>
> Culture? Culture?
>
> Now you're going too far!

There was culture on the quayside this morning -- 1500 people with their
kit off for culture :-)

(Un?)fortunately I was at work by then ...

I believe I've read phrases like 'The UK Drinks Culture' which suggest
that culture is whatever a lot of people do ...

chrisb at taf:~ $ wn  culture -over

Overview of noun culture

The noun culture has 8 senses (first 4 from tagged texts)

1. (17) culture, civilization, civilisation -- (a particular society at
a particular time and place; "early Mayan civilization")
2. (12) culture -- (the tastes in art and manners that are favored by a
social group)
3. (6) acculturation, culture -- (all the knowledge and values shared by
a society)
4. (1) culture -- ((biology) the growing of microorganisms in a nutrient
medium (such as gelatin or agar); "the culture of cells in a Petri dish")
5. culture -- ((bacteriology) the product of cultivating micro-organisms
in a nutrient medium)
6. polish, refinement, culture, cultivation, finish -- (a highly
developed stateof perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality;
"they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement
of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that
finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad)
7. culture -- (the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a
particular social group or organization; "the developing drug culture";
"the reason that the agency is doomed to inaction has something to do
with the FBI culture")
8. culture -- (the raising of plants or animals; "the culture of
oysters")

Hmmm, definition 7/8
--
Chris Benson