Website

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 15:04:52 CDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from Nicholas Clark <nick at unfortu.net> -----

From: Nicholas Clark <nick at unfortu.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:13:39 +0100
To: Alice Wood <alice at schiffwood.co.uk>
Cc: Tyneside Perl Mongers <tyneside-pm at happyfunball.pm.org>
Subject: Re: Website

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:45:08PM +0100, Alice Wood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Yes we are getting one.So I am asking for contributions please. Useful links,`
> book reviews, anything to get us started.

I wrote a script to convert the XML data of perl monger groups on www.pm.org
into the right format for xearth.

Run it something like this:

perl pm-xearth.pl perl_mongers.xml >pm.xearth

and then xearth something like this

xearth -markerfile pm.xearth

and then you have an X root window full of perl monger groups.
(Except on Gnome, where Gnome puts its desktop background in front of the
X root window and I've not yet worked out where the "transparent" option
on the "solid colour or wallpaper" choice is. :-)
KDE may also suffer from something like this. I'm tempted to bin gnome and
upgrade my work box to pure clean fvwm

perl 5.8.0 or later recommended, as 5.6.1 seems to spew out utf8 without
provocation or warning. (Bogot.pm and some others have accented names)

Nicholas Clark

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Chris Benson