Perl 5.8.0 is released

Nicholas Clark nick at unfortu.net
Fri Jul 19 17:52:50 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:03:38PM +0100, Chris Benson wrote:

> and it compiles:-
>
> This is perl, v5.8.0 built for ppc-linux

Well, I have a test account on:

Linux mirth.unixbeard.net 2.4.15-pre4-ben0 #1 Thu Nov 15 12:16:13 GMT 2001 ppc unknown unknown GNU/Linux

so I've been testing it on ppc-linux as well as other things, and I know
Michael Schwern (Mr perl-qa) is building on ppc-linux, so I'd be worried if
it didn't. :-)

Your challenge (should you choose to accept it) is to find an obscure
platform which it doesn't compile on. (Someone's tested SunOS 4, and it only
fails 4 tests, mostly POSIX signals. IIRC netbsd-sparc, ia64-linux and
arm-linux are all in the OKs)

> And there appears to be endless documentation.
>
> And perldelta mentions Nick twice ;-)

The Changes file mentions me a few times. But it mentions this jhi bloke
a lot more times. :-)

> And thread.pm is not built by a
> 	sh Configure -des
> build -- so I'll have to do it again ... sometime.

Threads are not the default. -des gets you all the defaults.
-des -Dusethreads would get you threads.
You can install both threads and non-threads at the same time, as long as
you (well root) makes sure that each /usr/local/bin/perl is given a
different name, as things like threads (and whether you build with 64 bit
integers rather than 32) are reflected in changes to the "architecture" name.
In plain English, that means that each variant of perl keeps its modules
compiled from C source and other private data in a separate directory.

> Lots of good stuff in there.

The documentation for 5.8.0 is probably better than that for 5.6.1 or 5.005,
so even if you're using an older version, it's probably worth checking the
new docs.

> [It's also get a real message instead of the usual spam ... does anyone
> have and questions? comments? suggestions? ... or even start meeting
> again?]

Er, pass.

Nicholas Clark
--