general interest in *BSD :-) [dom@semantico.com: Re: [ot] NetBSD]

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 15:10:27 CST 2001

David Cantrell was asking how to boot NetBSD single user after fscking up
an install,  but when he tried to recover ...
----- Forwarded message from Dominic Mitchell <dom at semantico.com> -----

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:59:15 +0000
From: Dominic Mitchell <dom at semantico.com>
To: london-pm at lists.dircon.co.uk
Subject: Re: [ot] NetBSD

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 05:53:32PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> pwd_mkdb didn't work, so I tried re-installing (it was a fresh install I'd
> broken anyway).  I then proceded to get very annoyed with the NetBSD
> installer, because it doesn't let you go back and correct your stupid
> mistakes.  And then installed Debian.

Wuss.  ;-)

Actually, you might want to try OpenBSD.  I don't think its as stable on
sparc as NetBSD, but the installer is loads nicer.

I always preferred the NetBSD 1.1 installer, which basically dumped you
in a shell and gave you "disklabel", "newfs", "tar" and a couple of
others.  Very effective.

-Dom

----- End forwarded message -----

--