toy for the website

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Sat Feb 10 05:30:47 CST 2001

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 12:20:10AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> I've got a some content for the website.
> Bath.pm has the clickable world map of pms
> I've written a script to turn the XML into a label file for xearth.
> My X root window is now a globe with perl monger groups pointed out.
> [we're not on their because that XML file doesn't have our lat/long in it
> yet. It also seems to let us change the list owner separately from the
> tsar. Maybe this is how we can do it]
>
> grab standard out from following to file, say pm.xearth. Then
>
> xearth -markerfile pm.xearth
>
> et voila (after a wait)
>
> Version 2 will optionally use LWP to get the XML from the mothership at
> www.pm.org

However, what I forgot to say was that putting the marker file in a known,
terse position on the website would be cool, as it would allow a sig of
the form

xearth -markerfile `lynx -source http://www.flirble.org/~nick/P/pm.txt >/tmp/pm.$$
echo /tmp/pm.$$`&

(better to be terse, http://www.flirble.org/~nick/P/pm.txt is a bit long, but
as the long stuff is inside `` it can actually be split no problem)
Maybe I should put a ; before the echo in case people try to cut and paste
as 1 line

Nick