[Tucson-pm] Jobs at Google for people with strong Perl skills (alas, jobs in California, not in Tucson)

Steve Baker steve at tandika.com
Fri Apr 29 18:02:27 PDT 2005

Quite relevant as far as I'm concerned. I'm not interested, but if
Google opens a local office I might be! It would be nice to see some
local listings for perl programmers (I know there ARE perl jobs in
Tucson...)
- --
Steve Baker <steve at tandika.com>      | kiku wa ittoki no haji
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tektsu/ | kikanu wa matsudai no haji

Chris Niswander wrote:
| I received this Monday, and I'm a bit late posting it.
| You may flame me if this strikes you as insufficiently relevant. :-)
| --Chris
| - - - - -
|
| Hello Chris?
|
| My name is Jeff Polo.  I?m a technical recruiter for Google, and I found
| your contact info on the Perl Mongers web site.  Google is currently
seeking
| several Unix/Linux experts with strong Perl skills for a few of
positions on
| Google?s Site Reliability Engineering team (SRE),  in either Dublin,
Ireland
| or Mountain View, California.  I was wondering if it would be possible for
| you to post this information to your ?relatively low-traffic email
list? or
| otherwise let your members know about these opportunity. If so, I?ve
pasted
| a couple job descriptions below.  More openings can be found at:
| http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/eng/reli.html
|
| If it?s not possible, I understand.  I don?t mean invade your
technical list
| with a job posting, but this is such a great opportunity, and Google is
| seeking the very best Engineers from around the world and I feel there
must
| be dozens of Perl experts out there with the expertise to have an interest
| in exploring these opportunities.    I?m hoping I can find some of them on
| your list via my posting. Might you be interested?  I will respond to all
| that apply to my email address.   Thank you for your consideration and
time.

| Sincerely,
|

| Jeff
| Jeff Polo
| Google Staffing
| Office: 650-623-4767
| Cell: 408-893-4907
|
| %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
|
| Senior Software Engineer/Unix System & Network Administrator, Google.com
| (SRE)
| Positions based in Mountain View, CA and in our European Operations HQ in
| Dublin, Ireland.
|
| Are you part ace coder, part adrenalin junkie? Do you have a knack for
| seeing a problem and immediately discerning the likely solution? Maybe
| you've been coding for years, are bored with the old
| design-build-review-test-ship-repeat routine, and yearn for some
| faster-paced challenges? Or perhaps you're a seasoned software
engineer who
| is also a genius at jockeying networks and administering UNIX clusters.
|
| We're looking for top-notch thrill seeking, software engineers to join the
| Google.com team. Google.com engineers are in the thick of everything
| involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of
| traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting edge services; from
| monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. We are
| aggressively building this elite team of high level engineers in this
| mission critical environment. All team members must have strong analytical
| and troubleshooting skills, fluency in coding, good communication skills,
| and most of all enthusiasm for tackling the complex problems of scale
which
| are uniquely Google. Google.com engineers tackle challenging, novel
| situations every day, and work with just about every other engineering and
| operations team in the process.
|
| Qualifications:
| ? Strong programming/scripting skills in any of the following: C, C++,
Java,