[Tucson-pm] Details of interest to perfectionists, re *post*-July meeting scheduling.

Chris Niswander cn-4-perl-users-group at bitboost.com
Fri Jul 9 19:36:07 CDT 2004

At 11:34 AM 7/7/2004 -0700, "Jason Badger" <jason at desertdream.com> wrote:
>Chris suggested:
>
>> what about Apple Farm on the northwest corner of Euclid & Grant?
>> So far as I've seen, it's a relatively quiet, spacious coffeeshop
>> with a large menu, where we could probably request/commandeer an area
>> towards the back for our own noise.
>
>> It's close enough to the U of A (~1 mile) that I think carless students
>> could walk or bike, in case that becomes relevant.
>
>Sounds good - let's do the Apple Farm, Tuesday (7/13) at 6pm.
>
>Please email me with your time/location preferences for future meetings
>and those of us present on Tuesday can strategize on how to accommodate as
>many of us as possible.
>
>cheers,
>jason

Hi Everyone,

I wonder whether it might be a good idea for people to post to the
list their time/location preferences for future meetings, just in
hopes of sparking some ideas from people who aren't not at the
Apple Farm 7/13 6pm meeting.

Or is that overdoing it?
I don't think we have more than 15 subscribers to this list,
so I don't think we'll get too large a heap of preference postings
right now.

The following is a list of some sources I looked at for events
that we might want to try not to conflict with too much when
we come up with a more permanent meeting schedule.
Easily bored people might not want to read it. :-S
People curious about programming-related events in/near Tucson might
read this list just to find out about events they didn't know about.

*Links to Several Lists of Events that Presumably Someone
 Could Experience As A Schedule Conflict*

Recently I've looked at a listing of Tucson Computer Society events
(http://www.aztcs.org/activities/calendar.html),
a listing of IT-related events compiled by AZIPA and emailed out once a month
(local copy at http://bitboost.com/ref/ug/deleteme.txt ,
originally from
azipa-aztechlist-techoasis-announcements-owner at yahoogroups.com),
The Tucson Free Unix Group website (http://www.tfug.org/)
and a listing of some computer-related User Groups in Tucson
(http://bitboost.com/ref/ug/ugs-in-tucson.html)

There is one computer-related event in town that I notice
happens on 7/13 (the second Tuesday of the month)
It's the Tucson Java Users Group (http://www.tucson-jug.org/)
which is pretty well-established.
I wonder if that could become a conflict for anyone?
But for me, 7/13 would be good for the first meeting at least.

Of course, if we try to find a date that has no
theoretical/hypothetical problems, we might take forever.
As some people say, "better is the enemy of done."
[
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22better+is+the+enemy+of+done
%22&btnG=Google+Search ]
(I have seen an ancestral remark, "The best is the enemy of the good,"
attributed to Voltaire.  Also cf. the essay "Worse Is Better"
at e.g. http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html)

Chris