[tpm] Perl 7

James jamex1642 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 07:23:13 PST 2017

no responses so far, but honestly i'm only half joking.

Summarizing the serious one half:

* +-1 could be an operator (successor) in the Church-Turing thesis.
* When talking about programming languages we are in fact programming
them. (that's why we love Perl!)
* If Perl 6 were named +-1 when talking about using it you would leave
yourself room for improvement or an escape hatch. :D
   Meaning this (+-1) is declarative because we don't have enough data
yet but we want the computer to do the work.
* Perl modules typically end with a value of 1. Exit codes are crucial.
* +-1 is pronounced "plus minus one" and means close enough in the
sense of epsilon.
* I don't think the +- operator is in use yet.
* there is an inverse operator -+1

What I'm talking about makes most sense in the thermodynamic sense of entropy.
To see why this is a sensible name for Perl 6 forget the details for a minute,
and try to see the concept as involving only direction and magnitude.
eg. it's a vector.
The driving idea is one of reversibility.

BIG QUOTE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_entropy
----

Entropy is an important concept in the branch of science known as
thermodynamics. The idea of "irreversibility" is central to the
understanding of entropy. Everyone has an intuitive understanding of
irreversibility. If one watches a movie of everyday life running
forward and in reverse, it is easy to distinguish between the two. The
movie running in reverse shows impossible things happening – water
jumping out of a glass into a pitcher above it, smoke going down a
chimney, water in a glass freezing to form ice cubes, crashed cars
reassembling themselves, and so on. The intuitive meaning of
expressions such as "you can't unscramble an egg", or "you can't take
the cream out of the coffee" is that these are irreversible processes.
No matter how long you wait, the cream won't jump out of the coffee
into the creamer.

In thermodynamics, one says that the "forward" processes – pouring
water from a pitcher, smoke going up a chimney, etc. – are
"irreversible": they cannot happen in reverse. All real physical
processes involving systems in everyday life, with many atoms or
molecules, are irreversible. For an irreversible process in an
isolated system (a system not subject to outside influence), the
thermodynamic state variable known as entropy is never decreasing. In
everyday life, there may be processes in which the increase of entropy
is practically unobservable, almost zero. In these cases, a movie of
the process run in reverse will not seem unlikely. For example, in a
1-second video of the collision of two billiard balls, it will be hard
to distinguish the forward and the backward case, because the increase
of entropy during that time is relatively small. In thermodynamics,
one says that this process is practically "reversible", with an
entropy increase that is practically zero. The statement of the fact
that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases is known as the
second law of thermodynamics.

----

Reaching for my algebra textbook [
http://www.hcm.uni-bonn.de/fileadmin/perrin/chap1.pdf ]

An algebra A over k is a vector space over k together with a bilinear
map A x A => A.
x(y + z) = xy + xz
(x + y)z = xz + yz for all (x,y,z) belonging to A^3
(ax)(by) = (ab)(xy) for all (a,b) belonging to K^2 and (x,y) belonging to A^2.

I see this as a basic requirement for consistency. In the above k is
the system you are modelling.
The algebra represents k's "digital" parts.

Wikipedia quoth [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisymmetric_relation]

if R(a,b) and R(b,a), then a = b,

As a simple example, the divisibility order on the natural numbers is
an anti-symmetric relation. In this context, anti-symmetry means that
the only way each of two numbers can be divisible by the other is if
the two are, in fact, the same number; equivalently, if n and m are
distinct and n is a factor of m, then m cannot be a factor of n.

---
The reason I mention this is that there the order of operands in
typical multiplication over integers is undefined.
For every algebra, A there is an opposite algebra Aop where (x,y)
means yx instead of xy.

---
And I've gone to far in one step, but if you think I'm wack or
something check this out, it's a good read:

https://projecteuclid.org/euclid.bams/1183548220