[tpm] Strawberry or ActiveState Perl?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Mar 20 00:34:52 PDT 2015

Hi J Z,

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 15:15:34 +0000 (UTC)
J Z Tam <jztam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just setting up a QA box running Win2012 and was wondering which Perl to
> install.My hope is to be able to validate all our perl scripts under various
> versions, with the goal of getting to the latest revision. Our old Windows
> Servers (Win2008)   previously had ActiveState5.10? installed and running
> smoothly, but am wondering what the issues are with respect to:1.
> UNinstalling the respective Perl stack if needed.  How thorough and clean the
> uninstall works for both Strawberry and ActiveState. 2. perlbrew.   IIRC
> Strawberry allows you to installing multiple revisions and you merely re-SET
> the PATH variable in the calling sequence you wish.  As for ActiveState,  I'm
> not up to speed.

To quote an earlier message on the same topic:

<QUOTE>

Strawberry Perl is open source, free-as-in-speech and free-as-in-beer,
community maintained, actively maintained, and allows one to install modules
directly from CPAN. Therefore, it is normally preferable over ActivePerl, but
I'm not saying that ActivePerl is not also a quality distribution, just less
recommended than Strawberry Perl.

For more information, see:

* http://perl-begin.org/platforms/windows/

</QUOTE>

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

P.S: your mailer sets the Reply-To: Header to point to your personal address
in this mail list post. This is not advisable and should be avoided.