[tpm] Wondering about fair wages

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Oct 12 09:25:19 PDT 2014

Hi all,

   I'm not sure if this is on topic or not. If it's not, please let me know.

   I'm co-founder of a small but growing business in Toronto. Up until
now, I've done all of the development work myself; architecture,
sysadmin and software development. The last one being all in perl, save
for a touch of jquery. We're getting to a point where I can't do it all
myself, so I have to start planning, and budgeting, to hire a proper
program/web developer.

   The reason I am posting here is that I have to balance available
resources against what is fair to pay for a given skill-set. Just the
same, I don't want to offer an unreasonable pay, either. I would very
much appreciate your input on what you think would be a fair pay package
for someone with these skills;

* Very comfortable with perl and writes clean, readable code.
* Can convert "traditional" HTML UI into a proper AJAX UI.
* Making an existing program properly testable/write unit tests.
* Familiar, ideally comfortable, with RHEL/CentOS 6+ system calls.
* Diligent about writing self-documenting code and proper comments.

   This is the front end for a high-availability cluster. So more than
"X years for experience in Y" or some such, the number *1* thing I would
need is someone who is slow, steady and careful. I would still be
closely involved with the systems side of things, so someone would not
need to know about HA clusters, but they must understand the caution
needed and be diligent about their work.

   So, given this description, what would you guys consider a fair
compensation package to offer? What conditions/trade-offs might cause
you to consider in exchange for a reduced direct pay package?

   Thanks for any input!

--
Digimer
access to education?