[tpm] mod_perl ... still suitable choice?

Dominic Thoreau dominic at thoreau-online.net
Tue Jun 17 07:58:21 PDT 2014

On 17 June 2014 15:07, Adam Prime <adam.prime at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> On 14-06-17 12:41 AM, Tom Legrady wrote:
>
>> I'm talking to a company which runs their website on Apache / mod_perl.
>> I thought mod_perl went out with dino-servers, that modern Perl webists
>> used plack / mojo / dancer. Is mod_perl still an efficient way to go?
>>

> If you're starting from scratch these days, you probably aren't going to
> use mod_perl.  That said, mod_perl is still fast and powerful, and if
> you're planning on running apache and leveraging any of it's internals,
> then mod_perl is pretty much the only way to go. Very few people actually
> need or want to do that though, especially these days. There are still a
> lot of people running mod_perl in one way or the other though. Development
> has somewhat stagnated. There still isn't support for Apache 2.4, though
> it's pretty much done on linux. I expect it will be in the next release,
> since the branch was just merged to trunk.
>

>  Which made me wonder ... is it practical to migrate a site gradually? I
>> suppose you would have to have sets of servers with old implementations
>> and new implementations, and migrate stuff from one to the other. The
>> front end would be conceal the transition.
>>

> It is absolutely practical and possible to migrate a site from mod_perl to
> something else gradually. As you say that work will be much easier if
> you've got a light front end proxy in front of your heavy mod_perl backend
> servers (which is the recommended way to run mp for anything serious).
>
> A bigger question is whether it's worth the effort or not.
>
> Adam

We're [1] running Apache/mod_perl. We have, by quick grep, 1.1M lines of
perl code. Continuing to run mod_perl is pretty much the only choice.
Selling management on "we need to re-write this, it'll take months, and the
net effect, hopefully, will be no new functionality, and probably new bugs"
is a non-starter.

Dominic

[1] A Tier 1 internet provider. We, as such, have no offices in Canada,
although a sibling company [2] Does have an office in TO.
[2] ie another sub company of our parent company's parent company.

--
And a big "Hiya" goes out to the fun crew from GCHQ.