[tpm] country hacker, city hacker

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 06:07:14 PDT 2013

Hi Uri,

I can offer to help out as a member of the welcoming committee. I live in
East York, where an apartment can be had for not too much cash, but where
it's still fairly close to public transit.

Please feel free to have the 'country hacker' contact me directly for
information on Toronto.

Alex Beamish

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Uri Guttman <uri at stemsystems.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i have an interesting situation that i would like to get help with from
> toronto.pm. i have a young candidate from a small city in northwest
> ontario who has interviewed and tentatively been offered a job in the big
> bad city of toronto. he is wary about taking the job and the cto is also
> wary but wants to hire him. the hacker is just not comfortable outside of
> his small town world.
>
> so my request is for some of you to take him under your wing. i don't know
> what this entails but of course it means inviting him to pm meetings and
> socials (he would sign onto this list) and being a big sibling to him. he
> actually rides his own motorcycle so he isn't just a closet case! the work
> environment is also different for him.
>
> one issue he brought up is living expenses. the salary is on the lower end
> but i am fairly sure he can do fine there. of course his current expenses
> are way lower where he is now but he is also woefully underpaid.
>
> any ideas or interest in helping him? i know you guys are a friendly and
> fun bunch and would welcome him in, but a more personal connection would be
> great. this is an odd situation and i working to help him out.
>
> thanx,
>
> uri
>
> --
> Uri Guttman - The Perl Hunter
> The Best Perl Jobs, The Best Perl Hackers
> http://PerlHunter.com

Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario
aka talexb