[tpm] Good examples?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 18:56:15 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM, James E Keenan <jkeen at verizon.net> wrote:

> On 11/8/13 10:24 AM, Brandon McCaig wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM,<arocker at vex.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a good explanation/example of how to use XML::SAX
>>> anywhere online?
>>>

>> I have used XML::Simple with some success in the past. If you just
>> need a proper XML parser for best practices, but don't need something
>> robust, then it's probably an ideal option. Of course, taking the time
>> to learn the larger, feature-rich modules will translate to larger
>> projects later on, but XML::Simple will probably get you to a solution
>> faster.
>>

> True.  But please note the qualifications the maintainer provides here:
> http://search.cpan.org/~grantm/XML-Simple-2.20/lib/
> XML/Simple.pm#STATUS_OF_THIS_MODULE

I too read that note, but used the module anyway because
I thought it was the easiest module to use with the simplest
(most understandable) documentation.  Also the fact that
(I think) it was a pure Perl solution.

It met my needs, but encountered an issue where the hash/object
it created had (what I considered to be a different/inconsistent
structure depending on whether

the XML contained empty attributes or not.

There wasn't an option for XML::Simple, so I wrote a post-processor
fix-up to make the resultant structure consistent.

Other than that, I thought it was great.

[Postscript}  A coworker needed to do some XML recently, he started
with XML::Simple, because I had experience, and ... it was simple.
Once he had a working app, he moved to a different module that
processed his 1+ gig XML 10+ times faster.