[tpm] YAPC Post Mortem this week

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 09:09:58 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Antonio Sun <antoniosun at lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Todd Rinaldo <toddr at cpanel.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Nice.  :) We've been meaning to try something like this.  I guess this
>> > would be a good month to test drive a G+ hangout.  Bandwidth in the rooms is
>> > good, right?  What's the best way to go about this?  Just share the screen
>> > and audio via the hangout?
>> >

>> Yep. I'd also suggest setting up a G+ event with proper time zoned time.
>> Make sure you use advanced to specify the location as a Hangout. This will
>> create the link used for the event. Once you've done this, I'd be interested
>> in promoting the hangout to a wider audience. Non-geocentric perl monger
>> meetings has been an interest to me for a while.
>

> +1 for G+ hangout.
>
> I had two or three sessions with my team using G+ hangout, and the
> experience was positive. I was actually amazed how well the G+ hangout was
> doing. But I don't know how well the G+ hangout will be for such event,
> because the speak would be away from the laptop most of the time doing
> presentation. I guess it'd required a laptop with a pretty good mic that
> could clearly pick up sounds from 2 meters away (or maybe we need a
> wired/wireless mic?).

Been there... done that...

My kit bag, has the microphone and the 'long' cable I used when I still
had the time to record/publish our meetings.
Its available for use.

And regarding the wireless approach...

I tried that too... with an in-expensive wireless mic.
It didn't work, because the neighborhood is just too RF noisy.
... and I wasn't going to go out and buy an expensive setup;
so I just went back to the 'wired' approach.